Smiling can affect our health in more ways than one, making replacing lost teeth an essential part of staying healthy. Dental implants are the perfect way to restore your smile. They look and feel completely natural, preserve adjacent teeth, prevent bone loss, and promote healthy gums.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
There are many benefits of dental implants that outweigh other cosmetic procedures. They are fixed and permanent, so they never move around whether you’re eating, sleeping, speaking, etc. Since they are secure in your mouth, they can help restore your chewing ability and allow you to enjoy foods you missed out on before getting your teeth fixed.
You can maintain them as you would the rest of your teeth, but even better, they’re not susceptible to cavities. Dental implants also preserve your facial structure by preventing bone loss and avoiding damage to surrounding teeth.
Who can get dental implants?
Anyone missing at least one tooth is an eligible candidate for dental implants. The ideal candidate for dental implants is in good general and oral health.
That said, a few conditions that can affect the success of the procedure, such as uncontrolled diabetes or heavy smoking. However, our level of expertise at Smiles by Stevens has resulted in numerous success stories, even for those who were previously told implants might not work.
You can learn more about frequently asked questions regarding dental implants here.
What should you expect during and after the procedure?
Have no fear, the implant dentistry professionals of Lancaster, PA are here! We have a step-by-step process that will help you understand exactly what to expect throughout the process, from the first consultation to the final placement of the implant.
After the procedure, our team will create a care plan that best works for you, including follow-up visits to ensure your teeth and gums remain healthy.
Throughout the recovery process, here are some key details to remember:
- Use the prescription rinse, which helps the healing process and keeps the implant site healthy.
- Sutures should remain in place for 14-21 days, but do not remove them yourself. Give us a call and we will take care of them for you.
- Discomfort or pain is expected and normal. You will receive pain medicine that you should take as prescribed at the first instance of discomfort. Typically, the pain is the most severe two or three days after the procedure.
- Do not disturb the area. Expect minor bleeding or oozing.
- Limit physical activity up to 48 hours after the procedure.
- Keep your head elevated on a pillow when resting.
- Fluid intake is essential, but avoid using a straw for several days.
- Eat soft, cool foods after the procedure, as they will be the easiest to eat during recovery. Maintain a healthy, nutritious diet throughout the healing process.
Pro tip: Follow our comprehensive post-operative instructions to ensure a speedy recovery!
If you’re looking for dental implants in Lancaster, PA, Smiles by Stevens is the place to be. We make sure that the implant procedure is a team effort involving you, Dr. Stevens, and the rest of our dedicated team of specialists. Give us a call at 717.581.0123 to schedule a consultation today!